The Flag of the Southern Cross (Eureka Flag) has been generously loaned to M.A.D.E by the Art Gallery of Ballarat.
The Flag is a a silent witness to the making of Australian democracy. Fragile yet powerful, it will be displayed at M.A.D.E in its own purpose-built gallery
The five bold stars of the Eureka Flag represent the Southern Cross and it symbolises unity and defiance. It is believed that the Flag was designed by miner ‘Captain’ Ross and sewn by the miners’ wives.
The flag was torn down after the December 3 battle, kept by Trooper King of the Victoria Police and then presented as evidence during the 1855 Eureka trials in Melbourne. Trooper King’s family loaned the flag to the Ballarat Fine Art Gallery (now known as the Art Gallery of Ballarat) in 1895. In 2001, the descendants of John King formally donated the flag to the Gallery.
In 1973, the flag was restored by Val D’Angri and then unveiled by Prime Minister Gough Whitlam. A comprehensive conservation by Artlab Australia in 2010-11 has dramatically improved its appearance.
To learn more about the Eureka Flag restorations, watch Val D'Angri and the Chief Conservator of Artlab, Kristin Philips, in their presentations at the M.A.D.E BY WOMEN speaker series, which formed part of the launch celebrations of M.A.D.E in May 2013.